STANDARD HEATS OF FORMATION
PERIODIC TABLE OF ELEMENTS
Select one answer for each question:
1. Which statement is TRUE?
|A)||As the energy increases, the frequency of the radiation decreases.|
|B)||The product of wavelength and frequency of light is a constant.|
|C)||As the wavelength of the light increases, the frequency increases.|
|D)||Red light has a higher frequency than blue light.|
|E)||Light is considered to have only wave character.|
2. The electron configuration of Na is
|A)||1s2 2s2 2p6 3p|
|B)||1s2 2s2 2p6 3s|
|C)||1s2 2s2 2p3 3s|
|D)||1s2 2s2 2p3 3d|
|E)||1s2 2s2 2p3 3p|
3. When Ne is ionized the orbital from which the electron is removed has
|A)||n = 1, l = 0|
|B)||n = 1, l = 1|
|C)||n = 2, l = 2|
|D)||n = 2, l = 1|
|E)||n = 2, l = 0|
which atom does the electron configuration in the highest subshell look like
5. How many orbitals are there in the n=4 level of the hydrogen atom?
6. How many electrons can be filled into the 5d subshell?
7. How many electrons in Xe occupy d orbitals with ml = +1?
8. Which of these atoms has the smallest radius?
|Size trends of atoms other than hydrogen will not be on the CH221 final|
9. According to ____ a particle of mass m and velocity v has a wavelength l = h/mv.
10. Which shape is consistent with a 3p orbital?
11. "Paramagnetic" atoms are attracted to a magnetic field because they contain unpaired electron spins. Which atom is NOT paramagnetic?
12. According to ________ the energy of a light wave in the photoelectric effect is the E = hn.
|E)||Davison and Germer|
13. The best description of the atom reaction Na + Cl ® Na+ + Cl- is:
|A)||The electron jumps from the 3p orbital on Na to the 3p orbital on Cl.|
|B)||The electron jumps from the 3s orbital on Na to the 3s orbital on Cl.|
|C)||The electron jumps from the 3s orbital on Na to the 3p orbital on Cl.|
|D)||The electron jumps from the 3p orbital on Na to the 3s orbital on Cl.|
14. The ionization energy ("work function") of cesium is 6.24 ´ 10-19 J/atom. Find the minimum frequency of light required to ionize a cesium atom.
|A)||1.06 ´ 10-15 s-1|
|B)||9.42 ´ 1011 s-1|
|C)||1.06 ´ 10-12 s-1|
|D)||9.41 ´ 1014 s-1|
|E)||4.13 ´ 1014 s-1|
15. What is the wavelength (in nanometers) of light emitted when the hydrogen atom undergoes a transition from level n = 5 to level n = 2?
16. What is the ionization energy (in kJ/mole) of the hydrogen-like ion F8+ ?
|A)||1.06 ´ 103|
|B)||1.31 ´ 104|
|C)||1.59 ´ 105|
|D)||1.06 ´ 105|
|E)||8.40 ´ 104|
17. The mass (in grams) of one N2O4 molecule is:
|C)||1.53 ´ 10-22|
|D)||1.15 ´ 10-22|
|E)||7.64 ´ 10-23|
18. When HCl reacts with NaOH in aqueous solution the net ionic equation is
|A)||Na+(aq) + Cl- (aq) NaCl (s)|
|B)||H+(aq) + OH-(aq) H2O(l)|
|C)||OH-(aq) + HCl(aq) H2O(l) + Cl- (aq)|
|D)||H+(aq) + NaOH(aq) Na+(aq) + H2O(l)|
19. What is the change in enthalpy (kJ) when 1 mole (28.0 g) of carbon monoxide is oxidized to carbon dioxide?
2 CO(g) + O2 (g) 2 CO2 (g) + 566 kJ
|C)||566 / 2|
|E)||566 ´ 2|
20. Which of these ionic compounds is least soluble in water?
21. Oxidation-reduction reactions involve transfer of
|A)||electrons to the reducing agent from the oxidizing agent|
|B)||protons to the oxidizing agent from the reducing agent|
|C)||electrons to the oxidizing agent from the reducing agent|
|D)||protons to the reducing agent from the oxidizing agent|
The oxidation number of antimony in SbCl63-
23. Balance the equation with lowest integer coefficients and give the coefficient of H+.
_Fe2+ + _ H+ + _Cr2O72- _Cr3+ + _Fe3+ + _ H2O
|balancing redox equations will not be on the CH221 final|
24. The reactant that is reduced in the equation in Question 23 is:
|D)||none--this is not a redox reaction|
25. Use these two reactions
2 Fe + 1.5 O2 Fe2O3 , DH = -823 kJ
3 Fe + 2 O2 Fe3O4 , DH = -1120 kJ
to find the enthalpy change for the reaction
3 Fe2O3 2 Fe3O4 + 0.5 O2
26. A chemical system at constant pressure absorbs 50 kJ of heat from the surroundings. The enthalpy change of the system is best described as:
|A)||DH = -50 kJ (endothermic)|
|B)||DH = 50 kJ (exothermic)|
|C)||DH = 50 kJ (endothermic)|
|D)||DH = -50 kJ (exothermic)|
27. How much heat is lost when 35.5 g of iron cools from 429°C to 18.6°C ? The specific heat of iron is 0.450 J/g-°C.
28. Find the moles of electrons transferred in the balanced oxidation-reduction reaction
C6H12O6 + 6 O2 6 CO2 + 6 H2O
|this type of redox problem will not be on the CH221 final|
29. How many moles of atoms are there in one mole of iron (III) sulfate?
30. The empirical formula of a compound SbxOy that contains 75.31% antimony (Sb) by weight is
How many grams of sulfate ions are in 0.200 L of
0.0300 M Al2(SO4)3
32. How many mL of 0.080 M sulfuric acid (H2SO4, MW = 98.1) are required for complete neutralization of 40.0 mL of 0.050 M aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3, MW = 78.0)?
33. What is the theoretical mass yield of tetraphosphorous hex(a)oxide produced by combustion of 8.00 g of phosphorous in excess oxygen?